10 Tips for Healthy Hair Growth
What Everybody Ought to Know About Hair Growth
Looking to grow thicker, healthier, fasting growing hair this year? Recently we spoke with Paulina Nelega, RH, a certified Clinical Herbalist of over 15 years, who has studied both herbal and conventional medicines and has been featured in numerous publications. She has a long list of happy customers, who have found relief from hair loss due to autoimmune disorders, thyroid conditions, alopecia areata, hormonal imbalances and more. We asked, and she shared with us these tips for achieving healthier hair!
- Get fresh! (With your food.) We all know that good nutrition is the foundation for radiant health, including lustrous hair. Eating a balanced diet that focuses on fresh, whole foods will keep your follicles nourished with the hair-healthy nutrients they need.
- Stay hydrated! Keeping your body hydrated helps ensure optimal exchange of nutrients and proper elimination of wastes, including in your hair follicles. Lots of pure water, herbal teas, green tea, or fresh-pressed juices. Aim for at least one ounce of water for every two pounds of body weight (more if you are very active).
- Run a humidifier in your bedroom at night. This will help counter the drying effect of central heating and colder weather temperatures that can leave your skin drier and your hair more brittle.
- Tame frizz and flyaways, naturally. Put a few drops of jojoba oil in your palm, rub your palms together and smooth them lightly over your hair for instantly sleeker locks – plus all-day conditioning.
- Get regular trims. Split ends give an overall dried-out appearance to hair, and can also weaken the hair as the split travels up the shaft.
- Avoid overwashing your hair. Try washing your hair every-other-day, and use a natural ‘dry shampoo’ on the in-between days. Also be sure your shampoo doesn’t contain harsh detergents that can strip the hair of its natural oils.
- Natural or nylon? Paddle or round? Choose the right brush for the job! Ask your hairstylist what would be best for your hair type and style.
- Massage your scalp before shampooing. Invigorates your scalp with fresh, nutrient-rich blood, and gets waste products out to the surface where they can be rinsed away.
- Exotic hot oil treatments. Experience deep-conditioning and moisturizing with Moroccan argan oil, shea butter from the savannah of Africa, tropical coconut oil, or jojoba oil. Apply a few tablespoons to damp hair and work throughout from roots to ends, massaging your scalp as well. Wrap with a hot towel and leave on for at least 30 minutes, once a week.
- Perfume the ends of your hair. Not technically a ‘healthy hair’ tip, but a little pleasure can make you smile, and that’s healthy for your soul! Rub a little of your favorite perfume or naturally scented oil on just the tips of your hair – it’s a great trick for longer lasting fragrance!
Got a question, war story or comment about this topic? Click on the "Leave Your Comments" link at the very bottom of this article. Some of my best ideas for future articles come from reading reader comments. I'd love to hear from you!