Hair styles for round faces, a dilemma even for celebrity hairdressers
Round faces are the most misunderstood and miss-diagnosed of all face shapes. I’ll bet about 75% of you reading this post, who think you have a round face . . . don’t. That’s about the percentage of women who get it wrong in my class, Finding the Right Hairstyle for You!
“I’m ROUND!!!” is how the disappointed woman will announce her perceived round face shape. It is said, in such a way, as if having a round face shape is a failure of sorts. How did round face shapes get such a bad rap? (I think because it is wrongly equated with being overweight.) Round face shapes can be the most exquisite and lovely faces of all. Women will quickly misdiagnose their round face shape, after a small weight gain, say, or after a long winter of indulging in a multitude of sins. But, a small weight gain usually won’t change an oval face shape to a round face shape. Bone structure is the most important factor in the geometry that makes up our visual face shape.
A weight gain though is all too quick to stare us back in the mirror, everywhere, including on our faces . . . Yikes! So, it’s easy to understand how this kind of misnomer happens. In our own critics eye, we may indeed look more round, when in truth, the weight gain has just made the face shape a fuller oval, heart, rectangle or whatever face shape we’ve had since puberty.
Not many women have truly a round bone structure. A round face is a perfectly symmetrical shape after all. The characteristics that go into making a face appear round are, rounded jaw line, widest part of the face being at the cheeks and ears, a face that is close to being as wide as it is high.
The underlying bone structure may allow for fuller looking cheeks. Also, if the eyes are big and round, this adds to the illusion of looking like more of a round face. I am certain some round faces can be the most exquisite and lovely faces of all, there are many gorgeous celebrities with round face shapes. There just aren’t many people who have round face shapes. Another reason is that a round face shape alludes softness . . . and here’s the proof!
So, what are the best hairstyles for round faces? Keep these basic hair design principals in mind:
- Hairstyles with fullness and height at the crown
- Soft waves
- Off center parts
- Asymmetrical hairstyles
- Short hairstyles, swept off the face
- Hairstyles that are longer or shorter than chin length
- By layering the top to achieve fullness and keeping the rest of the cut relatively close to the face, your face shape will appear longer and narrower
- Wispy, partial bangs work well and sometimes a short fringy bang
- Chin length hair with rounded lines, that mirrors the rounded faces circular shape
- Center parts – which can make the face look too round
- Straight hair – which looks severe
- Straight full bangs
- Fullness at side of ears
- A rounded haircut ending at the chin will certainly add weight to round faces. Because the widest part of your face is at the cheeks and ears, you need to avoid having the fullness of the cut here as it will make your face appear wider.
Check out for yourself the famous round face celebrities listed here by doing a Google image search and see what hairstyles celebrities are wearing and have worn. (Keep note in your search what hairstyles works and what doesn’t work for round faces.)
- Isabella Rossellini
- Audrey Hepburn
- Katherine Jenkins
- Christina Ricci
- Geena Davis
- Kelly Osborne
Even though their face shape can change from, smiling to not smiling and from different camera angles, these are celebrities with round face shape bone structure.You might also want to look at my article about face shapes I have a special section just for hair styles for a round face shape. For more hairstyles that might make your face look thinner check out our Pinterest Hairstyles for Round Face Board.
For further discussion on hairstyles for round faces you might want to check out these other articles:
- Hair Styles For Round Faces
- More Hair Styles for Round Face Shapes
- Hairstyles for Round Faces
- Hairstyles a round face shape
- Round face shapes can be slimmed
- Retro Round Face Haircuts
- Hairstyles for Round Faces
Other Articles You Might Enjoy
Share this article
Leave your comments (16), Your input matters.
16 Comments »