Jump Into The Deep End This Summer!
Sometimes a new look can be as easy as changing your part. A hot twist on any summer look is the deep side part. Whether you’re going for something professional for the office, or a hot summer style for a night out, a dramatic side part is a fresh and easy way to add drama to your look.
Get the Part
- After towel drying, comb your hair back from your forehead.
- Use the top tooth of your comb to draw a line starting at the arch of one eyebrow.
- Divide hair to either side and comb in place.
- If you wear bangs, divide them and comb to the side as well.
- Apply a smoothing serum to avoid fly-aways and set your style.
- Dry in place either naturally or with a blowdryer.
- Complete your style with a high shine finishing spray.
- Finishing Spray- Schwartzkopf Smooth Operator Smoothing Hairspray ($10)
- Smoothing Serum- Paul Mitchell Gloss Drops ($14)
- Thermal Spray- Paul Mitchell
Act the Part:
The key to this style is keeping hair smooth and chic. This look is especially flattering on oblong and round face shapes, but can work on anyone. Pair your part with a chic pony, a low bun, or pin straight style.
The Professional Pony
After creating your part, make sure your hair is ultra smooth and straight. Collect hair at the nape of your neck and tie into a ponytail. Take an inch thick strip of hair from the pony and wrap around the base of the pony. Secure with a bobby pin right below the elastic.
The Sexy Bun
Comb and smooth parted hair, and collect at the nape of your neck. Tie securely with an elastic to create a ponytail. Twist the tail and wrap around the base of the pony. Secure with bobby pins around the outside of the bun. (Stick one end of the bobby pin into the bun, and the other into the ponytail’s base.) If you want a relaxed look, pinch bun to loosen and add texture and pull out wispy pieces in front.
Pin Straight Style
Divide hair into three sections (one on each side and one in the back), keeping the side part you created earlier. Working from the bottom up, spray one inch partings with thermal spray, and flat iron section from root to ends. Take extra care to smooth hair at the part line for extra polish.
You don’t have to visit the salon to change up your look. So dive into the deep end this summer with a super deep side part for a fun change of style.
Got a question, war story or comment about this topic? Click on the "Leave Your Comments" link at the very bottom of this article. Some of my best ideas for future articles come from reading reader comments. I'd love to hear from you!