How to Avoid Hair Mistakes That Age You
If you’re lucky enough to live a long life, your hair will eventually start to tell your real age secrets, in more ways than just revealing gray, unless you know these expert tips and the truth about how the right hairstyle and hair color takes years off your look. Face another year with gusto. Refresh what time has done by revamping these five hair mistakes that age you.
- Hanging Onto an Old Hairstyle – Nothing reveals your age faster than remaining in a haircut that was celebrity trendy from your high school or college days. Face it – Even in their prime, those hairstyles may not have even been as great as you thought, but you were able to pull them off in younger years. Still, deciding on hairstyles to make you look younger doesn’t need to wear you out. Go with a timeless look that flatters your face shape.
- Unflattering Hair Color – When it comes to adding years to your look, you may be surprised to discover it’s not the gray hairs that create the most problems in aging. Choosing too dark, or even too blonde, of a hair color will really bring out crows feet and laugh lines that aren’t funny, but the worst culprit is going monotone. If you want to cover up your gray, don’t go too dark. However, don’t go too light either. Select multi-dimensional hair color that looks natural with subtle highlights. Choose a shade lighter than your natural hair color. Highlight with lighter streaked tints around your face, and choose warm tones instead of cool ones.
- The Wrong Bangs – While it may have worked for you during more youthful times, childhood “bowl-like” cuts are not your friend as you age. While blunt-cut bangs hide forehead wrinkles, you’ll be better served by choosing wispier or layered bangs that still camouflage the worry lines but add a zestful style.
- Length – Long hair is youthful only when it is healthy, shiny and bouncy. Many women find that age also brings on split ends, breakage, dull and even thinning hair. If you want to keep your Rapunzel tresses, go with a layered hairstyle cut to fall softly around and accent the face.
- Wrong Haircut – Going shorter with depth to the cut brings out facial features that were once hidden behind the long locks. Choose a layered bob or other easy-to-style short hairstyles for women over 50.
No matter how old or young, frizzy and unhealthy hair is going to make you look years older than you are. The more the body ages, the trickier it is to keep hair looking vibrantly youthful. Choose a haircut and hair color that flatters your face and accents your personality and lifestyle; and then keep it healthy by eating right, drinking plenty of water, and using moisturizing hair shampoo, conditioners and anti-aging styling products. Get a professional trim every six to eight weeks, avoid these five hair mistakes that age you, and talk to your stylist about a look that helps you age gracefully.
Got a question, war story or comment about this topic? Click on the "Leave Your Comments" link at the very bottom of this article. Some of my best ideas for future articles come from reading reader comments. I'd love to hear from you!