Don’t overlook braids!
Melissa Stone, creative director for Sojourn, formerly creative director with Vidal Sassoon, created this stunning braids cover feature with photographer Karin Catt for American Salon Magazine July 2010 issue. “Braids Can Be Slimming” Most women I know won’t likely try to duplicate Melissa’s chic braid above, but braids come in every shape, size and style and there is probably more than one or two you could fashion, with just a little bit of effort and know-how. Melissa used a Mason Pearson brush to smooth the hair into a high ponytail. To get the beautiful smooth, shiny look, she braided it, smoothing it as she wrapped it with Sojourn Monio Oil Treatment.
I love this loose side braid! Now, is such a perfect time to be wearing some of these new braids. Even if you don’t have long length hair, you can get the look with an extension. Just find a braid style or two you oooh . . . and aaahh . . . about and take just allow yourself a little bit of time to practice learning how to do it! These braids are worn loose and casual, perfect to wear on hot summer days to cool down and to combat the frizzies! Temple of Glam brings us this untidy side braid, inspired by Alexander Wang Spring/Summer 2010: and created by celebrity hairdresser, Tippi Shorter.
- Apply glossing cream to clean, damp hair to help prevent flyaways
- Dry hair
- Create a deep side part and direct hair to one side
- Apply a conditioning paste/wax to mold hair
- Start a French braid high on the head, keep it loose and casual by using three uneven pieces
- Continue the side braid all the way to the bottom
- Give the braid a slight shake to loosen it
- Secure braid with clear elastic
- Finish with shine spray
See more braids from Spring/Summer 2010 Collections
Easy Fishtail Side Braid A fishtail braid (also called herringbone braid) is arguably the easiest braid to make. You basically work with two strands of hair instead of the basic three strands used for braiding. Then take a small piece from one strand and wrap it into the other strand and vice versa . . . but its way easier to watch a video on how to braid hair than try to describe it!
Check out my article on Bohemian Hairstyles for other Boho Style Ideas.
For more great looks check out our Pinterest Braid Board
For further discussion on braids you might want to check out these other articles:
- Looks Like Braids are a Hair Style Hit
- Hair Braids, Hair Braids and More Hair Braids!
- Braids, Braids, Braids!!
- Braided Hair–Hot Trend This Summer!
- Sarah Michelle Gellar Braids are a Hit
- Hair Braiding Styles The French Braid
Share this article
Tags: BraidsOctober 15, 2012 By: Barb Quinn Hairstyle Blog Leave your comments (4), Your input matters.
4 Comments »